Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How to Get Started Writing

Is this how you feel when your teacher asks you to write something?  What would it take for you to be more relaxed when writing?


Many students get anxious when asked to write. And while it can be frustrating, there are several ways to help you get started and improve your writing.  Let's get started.


First, you have to remember that writing is a process.  It's  something that improves with practice and with a little time.  If you worry about making making mistakes, you will quickly grow bored with writing.


To begin you must first find something to write about.  This is often the most difficult part, so it's a good idea to start with a familiar subject or topic.  People you know, places you've been and the things you like are a few examples.  The most familiar subject, of course, is yourself.  


So, just for fun, try to make a list of subjects or topics that are familiar to you.  Then, number them in order of importance.  For example:

  1. Shopping
  2. Friends
  3. Hobbies
If you have a topic like #3 above, try to narrow it by choosing a specific hobby.  

After you have chosen a topic which you feel is most important or interesting, freewrite for 5 minutes.  Remember that when we freewrite, it's a way to get our ideas down.  At this point in your writing, it's not necessary to worry about spelling and grammar.  You will revisit your writing to make changes and improvements.

If you tried this task, post a comment about your experience.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah!! I can swear this is me in This picture. when my teacher used to ask me to write something. My biggest problem was with the vocabulary I know the word in Arabic but I can't found it in English. This was in the past Now I have a new problem is with the spilling:s
    The first step that you mention it's not a problem to me my problem is with the spilling like I mention before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spelling in English can be tricky, especially with different letter combinations making different sounds and silent letters. Hopefully I can add a post about spelling rules. But remember, the best way is to practice because there are usually exceptions to the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that everything is fine with my writing but I need to learn what to write and what to keep to myself (extra details). Writing in Microsoft Word, underlined couple of sentences in green, I don't know what does that mean, grammar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy writing, but writing a story or anything that I make up is more fun for me and I really like it when I add more details to it.
    I tried and it worked, but of course I had some trouble with grammar. I also have difficulty finding the perfect word to describe the thing I'm talking about.
    I know I don't make that much mistakes in grammar but to me it is a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Noora It's good to know that you enjoy writing and of course it's more fun to write about the things we like. As far as the grammar and finding the right word, all of these things improve with practice.

    I shared it before but try http://thesaurus.com
    and http://visuwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ms. Amal for the links and I hope it will help me. And I hope I'll find time to write more and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes, i feel anxious when the teacher asked me to write.
    i do not have any problem with (find something to write about) but my problems is some grammar and spilling .
    i try to practice
    more to improve my writing

    ReplyDelete